- Replace front door locks if at all tricky – this is the first impression!
- Although the selling process is monitored and secure systems are in place, it is wise to remove valuables such as jewellery, cameras, cash, laptops, etc.
- Avoid cooking food with strong odors such as fish.
- In poor weather, provide proper doormats to eliminate water pooling.
- Lit fireplaces on a cold day can create an inviting ambiance. If applicable, heated floor tiles can help sell your home. Keeping your home cool on hot summer days is also important.
- A well lit home is crucial, ensure that burnt out bulbs are replaced and all blinds are open to let in as much light as possible. Remember, a good front porch light is imperative for evening showings so that agents can get the lockbox and front door open easily.
- Clean all surfaces, including floors.
- Organize and de-clutter counter tops, cup boards & closets.
SHOWCASING YOUR HOME
As your Real Estate sales representative, we would strongly recommend that you and your family be away from your home during showings and any open houses that are scheduled.
If you are home, prospective Buyers may feel compelled to rush their showings to avoid disturbing you. We're sure that you would like them to take their time to notice all of the many selling features of your home. It is often said that the longer they stay, the more they are envisioning themselves and their furniture in your house! This is a great sign!
With regards to open houses, we strongly recommend an agent open house. This is a vehicle for agents to screen newly listed properties for their clients. Open houses to the public are a service to clients and work for some Sellers depending on their comfort level. We can discuss this when we meet as part of our marketing plan, and if you feel comfortable, open houses to the public will be provided.
Here are some tips that you may want to consider while your home is on the market: